Subject: [Leica] IMG: More Rotterdam
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Wed May 9 14:26:47 2007

Hi Nathan,

I think you followed my route quit well.
You also found Cambrinus, I hope you had a nice beer.
Hotel New York, another place were I spent 2,5 years sweating in the
basement prep kitchen and the service kitchen. Nice years.
The statue is made by Ossip Zadkine. It symbolizes the city which was
bombed at the beginning of the war. The statue has no heart, like the
city didn't have after the raid. It's title actually is "city without a
heart". Citizens of Rotterdam call it "Jan Gat" or in Engelish "John
with a hole".
Because there was no city left after the war, the centre was totally
rebuild again and again. Before the war it was much more like Amsterdam
and the other old Dutch cities. Small and narrow. This rebuilding
resulted in all this new architecture and enough parking space:-)

I really like the "cycle talk". You really captured the body language.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema