Subject: [Leica] Trinity College Cambridge
From: matthew at hunt.tc (Matthew Hunt)
Date: Wed May 9 00:57:29 2007

Dear Peter

Thanks for your comments.  I was a student at Trinity in 1979 and now I have
to admit to being a doctor!  I'm a local GP and teach at Trinity.  One of my
students won the Great Court Race last October.

The College has only ever allowed one film-maker in: Carl Sagan, to make a
science documentary.  The race was (and still is) run there at the start of
the academic year, but the filming was done in Eton, and at other colleges
(I remember watching Cambridge being transformed while they were filming).

That would be a challenging photo assignment.  In my time it used to be run
at midnight, in academic dress, after the Matriculation Dinner, but after a
serious accident it was changed to noon.  While the clock is striking 12,
the new students (about 300) race round the perimeter of the court.  A fine
runner can just get back to the starting-point before the chimes are over.
It's all over in less than a minute, so little time to focus or compose, and
the subjects fast-moving.  I'd be inclined to go for a small aperture,
higher ISO, and pre-focus.  Maybe chose one good position in advance, use a
friend to practice pre-composition and remember the settings, and
concentrate on that, rather than try to photograph the whole thing.  I've
learned from the LUG pictures that a great picture often shows just one
important detail of a big event.  Have the LUGgers any suggestions for next
October?

Matthew