Subject: [Leica] Close call on fleabay
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Tue May 8 18:12:28 2007

This morning, I suddenly got a stream of emails confirming the stuff I put
up for auction on ebay (I hadn't). Figuring that it was another phishing
expedition, I went to "My Ebay" and saw a gaggle of crap that someone had
put up for auction under my name (a bunch of DVD collections). After pooping
my pants, I got on the phone and told ebay to pull the plug on those
auctions. After about 20 minutes of talking to two guys on the phone, it
occurred to me that my ebay name and my password were very close to being
the same(!). With Firefox routinely filling my name and password in for me,
I hadn't noticed the similarity.

For those of you who frequent ebay as a buyer or seller, change your
password to something *ungodly*. I went to my password database (with all of
the online stores, banking, credit cards, ebay, email, and the like, I have
89 entries). Of the 89 entries in that database, 13 were the same password
that the ebay hacker deduced.

Scary.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA