Subject: [Leica] Strange M8 artifact
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Wed Apr 25 17:20:23 2007

Ken,

I do not know what type of sensor the M8 has, but this artifact as you
call it was a known issue with the original Canon EOS 1D.  Some early 1D
cameras it was very easy to see where the two sensors were combined to
make the whole sensing area.  This problem showed up more in dark,
underexposed areas than in properly exposed images.  Canon finally
almost totally resolved this issue with firmware updates, but on
occasion it still showed up.

Perhaps this is a similar issue to the old 1D issue.

This brings up one reason why I think the M8 has taken such a  blasting
for being a poor camera...it was released with issues no worse than most
new digital cameras have had...the problem with Leica is they are so
late to the game most other makers have moved past these growing pains
and now people are far less tolerant than they were a mere 5 years ago.
Note I am not bashing the M8, merely pointing out why I think it has
gotten such a bad rap where the 1D, D1X, D2 and others did not.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Strange M8 artifact)