Subject: [Leica] Polarizing filter
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Apr 22 18:12:57 2007

On 4/22/07 8:19 PM, "Tom Schofield" <tomschofield@comcast.net> typed:

> Either the Leica Universal Pol filter which Michiel links to, or get
> the $150 Leicagoodies.com Steps set + what ever brand 77mm Pol filter
> you prefer.  The Steps set has a 60-77mm step up ring with windows in
> the side for you to look through to see the pol effect. without
> having to flip back and forth or take away from your eye.  It comes
> with progressively increasing step up rings, allowing you to use it
> with lenses having 39, 46, 55 and 60mm filter sizes.    This is
> similar to the 49mm-67mm ring Leica sells for the Tri-Elmar, but more
> versatile and has a bigger area to look through.  You could also use
> it with the Tri-Elmar if you add a 49-55mm step-up ring (which
> doesn't come with the set).
>
> I really like Leica's pol filters, though, since they seem to be more
> neutral in color and have less neutral density in them, and IMHO seem
> "snappier", but the latter may just be my imagination.  But the Steps
> set is more versatile in that it works with 55 and 60mm sizes.  I'm
> not sure whether Leica made a 77mm Pol filter.  I want one if they did!
>
> If you like to make things yourself, just get a $10 generic 55-77mm
> step up ring, and drill and file out the windows to look through.
> You could make up your own steps set much more cheaply that way.  But
> then you don't get the nicely machined brass rings that Mark Rabiner
> is soooo fond of!  ;-)
>
> Tom Schofield

I think Brass would be much nicer to drill and file out.
It's like hobby metal. Like Balsa wood or cedar only metal!
Plaster of Paris instead of Marble.
And come to think of it you can buy it hobby stores.
Bring them home and play with them.
Do they do that with strips of aluminum!!?!?!?
I don't think so!
What are you going to do with the stuff go make an air conditioner?

Forgetaboutit!

I'll take brass any day.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s