Subject: [Leica] 50 Summiluxi
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Thu Apr 19 17:29:56 2007

Hi Frank,
I have three 50's - the Summarit 50 f1.5 (soft as mush wide open -
great for 1940's style portraits of ladies of an uncertain age) a
1965 Summilux (formulation #2 I believe) and a new 50 Summilux Asph.
The 1965 Summilux is quite sharp in the centre wide open (when I get
the focus spot on) but softer towards the edges.  Wide open it is
definitely sharper than my old 35 Lux - no question about that. The
new Lux Asph, wide open, as most comments support, is sharp over most
of the picture and sets, perhaps, a new standard for 50mm lenses in
35mm photography. I like all three but for different results.
Cheers
Howard
(in Hong Kong)