Subject: [Leica] Integrity is the first casualty
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Apr 18 19:27:00 2007

Hi Harrison,
Excellent example!

Not much else need be said!

ted

-----Original Message-----
From: lug-bounces+tedgrant=shaw.ca@leica-users.org
[mailto:lug-bounces+tedgrant=shaw.ca@leica-users.org] On Behalf Of Harrison
McClary
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 6:04 PM
To: Leica Users Group
Subject: Re: [Leica] Integrity is the first casualty

I have had these discussions with people often, and the one thing that
always comes to mind is the question...has the media ever really had
integrity?  In the days of Hearst and Pulitzer it was called "Yellow
Journalism"  anything sensational to sell a paper, 70 point head lines
and screaming kids with papers "READ ALL ABOUT IT"

At least back then there were differing view points in the media.  Now
most outlets are owned by a relatively few companies, and in many towns
only one paper, so there are few differing views out there, the truth
almost always lay somewhere in between what was reported in the
different papers, now you just get one.

As a journalist you should strive to keep yourself separate from that
which you are covering, but simply deciding the angles and the moment
you snap the shutter tells a story and colors the image.

A few weeks ago I covered President Bush in Chattanooga.  In this first
image the real mood of the meeting came across, it was mostly a friendly
atmosphere:

http://www.mcclary.net/cpg148/displayimage.php?album=34&pos=4

In this second photo it appears that it was confrontational, which it
was not:

http://www.mcclary.net/cpg148/displayimage.php?album=34&pos=5

Note:  I AM NOT making a political statement here, simply showing how
when one is making images at 1/250 of a second the moment is fleeting
and a fleeting moment taken out of context can shift perceptions with
pout there being ANY photo shop manipulation at all.

Harrison.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography