Subject: [Leica] Integrity is the first casualty
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Wed Apr 18 14:36:38 2007

Is it possible to have a real discussion concerning journalistic
integrity? It has nothing, I think,  to do with moving a cup on a table
or beefing up smoke from a bombed out building. Now, if your assigned to
do a story on people dying from too much coffee then the cup may have
some significance but other than that?

Integrity was put to sleep with the advent of corporate journalism. Ask
anyone who's worked for Gannett, for instance. Given a choice between
integrity and losing an advertiser which way do you think the scales
would tip?

I keep coming back to the Lebanon event. The Israelis blew the hell out
of the city but the big issue was *TOO MUCH SMOKE*?  Who asked how many
innocent victims were being blown to bits? (aside from those agency
shooters who risk it all) The issue became smoke, not death by gunship.
In almost 30 years of shooting  news event I'm left remembering one case
of real integrity. The managing editor of a very major daily quit rather
than sacrifice his integrity. I'm sure many of those on the LUG who have
worked in the field can remember similar events.  The real problem with
journalistic integrity is that it is almost nonexistent. Issues of news
coverage are placed on the back burner  when advertising rears its
greedy head.

We may do our best  while in the field but unless issues of integrity
are firmly nailed to the wall of the newsroom? I've often wondered about
Leni Riefenstahl and her fantastic work. Did she lack integrity because
her work became symbolic of the Nazi regime?  Most would condemn her but
what about the excellent shooters doing similar work now in places like
Wash. D.C., London, Iraq, etc.  How often do embedded journalists go
against the grain?

One thing is certain. To get the the heart of this matter we need to
poke B.D. with a stick. He will know more than the rest of us combined.
Not only that, he can put it into words. :-)

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Integrity is the first casualty)