Subject: [Leica] NPR comments on photography
From: tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield)
Date: Tue Apr 17 22:23:34 2007

I wrote the following to post after reading the article aout the
Toledo Blade photog and the shot of the baseball team praying, but
then went on to read some of the other related stories, such as
Photog Hajj who enhanced contrast of a dull photo of smoke over
Beirut following an Israeli raid.  Nothing added or deleted, just
pumped up a rather dull photo, and was criticized because the smoke
was blacker.  Another article says burning in a background is OK.
What is impermissible manipulation -- setting the digicam to vivid
color?  Using an enhanced color slide or print film?  No Velvia in
journalism!!  How about selective focus with a wide aperture lens --
that will make background items unrecognizable.  Does purity of
journalistic photography require that only the most natural contrast,
color, etc settings be used, and the depth of field be maximized?

My initial thoughts:

It is interesting, more for what you can read between the lines.  If
the ethics rule is not to change the editorial content, then arguably
his manipulation did not violate the ethics rule -- merely cleaning
up distracting non-essential background elements.  How much of that
particular controversy was being a matter of rivals getting a chance
to embarrass their competitor?  Obviously the Editor was embarrassed
by the whole situation.  But I do see how it would be easier to adopt
a no manipulation policy to avoid having to argue whether changes are
purely aesthetic or editorial -- I'd probably do the same.

These aren't new issues -- digital just makes it easier and more
prevalent.  Is it unethical to dodge or burn in a distracting element
to make it less noticeable?  About 30 years ago PopPhoto showed a
comparison of two copies of a Cosmonaut group picture -- one
Cosmonaut had been airbrushed out in the picture as it later appeared
in Russian school textbooks.

IMHO, the photographer should inquire as to their policy before
submission, and advise them that a photo had been manipulated,
possibly submitting before and after prints --  the Editor should be
able to make an informed choice.

Tom