Subject: [Leica] IMG some M8 color studies with B+W 486 filter
From: davison_m at msn.com (MARK DAVISON)
Date: Tue Apr 17 20:19:09 2007

I just attended the Leica M8 seminar this weekend, and was inspired to
recalibrate and profile my Apple Cinema display (which is unfortunately
hooked to a Windows box), and run some M8 pictures through Capture One LE,
using the generic Leica M8 profile.  I'm really liking the color that I'm
getting from the M8 now, since firmware 1.092. The shots in Ballard were
taken with firmware 1.102.

The first two shots here are from Harrison Lake BC, Canada, one of our
favorite vacation spots. It rained a little bit much for an optimal spring
break, but there were photographic opportunites when the rain mixed with
light:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/MarkEDavison/M8+color+samples/L1000374.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/MarkEDavison/M8+color+samples/L1000392.jpg.html

These last four are just eclectic snapshots from my walk today in Ballard, a
neighborhood of Seattle
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/MarkEDavison/M8+color+samples/L1000653.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/MarkEDavison/M8+color+samples/L1000664.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/MarkEDavison/M8+color+samples/L1000667.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/MarkEDavison/M8+color+samples/L1000672.jpg.html

I have learned some things I didn't want to know about color management on
Windows XP this weekend (the seminar demonstrated color management on a
Macintosh which works in a very straightforward and reliable fashion).

The bad news is that many color profiling systems (like the popular
GretagMacbeth Eye One system)create a profile that depends on having a
particular custom color lookup table (LUT) correctly loaded into your video
card.  The problem is that Windows XP does not handle loading the LUT
automatically--you depend on third-party software to load the LUT.  If you
have Adobe Gamma on your system, it may be loading its own LUT as well.
Whichever application loads the last LUT determines which LUT is the
graphics card.  The workaround I found was to download Microsoft Color
Control Panel applet, and following its instructions, set up my Startup so
that the applet loads the correct LUT, and there are no other applets
color.

(To add to Windows users' misery, some graphics cards lose their custom LUT
if the system wakes up from Standby, and some graphics cards flush the
custom LUT if you bring up the Color tab in the graphics card's Preferences
dialog box.  You can use the Color Control Panel applet to reload your
custom LUT if this happens.)

To paraphrase something that Don Imus might have said:  "Windows has too
many loose LUTs."

One other thing I noticed--the only correctly color managed apps I have on
my Windows box are Photoshop and Capture One LE.  There are situations when
Internet Explorer and Windows Fax and Picture Viewer do not display correct
colors (even from sRGB files.) I saw this when experimenting with monitor
profiles which had a white point set other than the native white point of
the display.

On the Mac with OS X all the apps I tested correctly honor the current
monitor profile, and the LUT is never disturbed.

Mark Davison

Replies: Reply from davison_m at msn.com (MARK DAVISON) ([Leica] IMG some M8 filter comparisons)