Subject: [Leica] integrity ?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Apr 17 20:15:47 2007

Tina Manley offered:

>>> I know what I think.  For photojournalism, I think it's o.k. to crop, to
adjust levels and color balance and a very few other things that you could
do in the darkroom.<<<<

Hi Tina & others,
Simple clean cropping has never been a problem, "real wet tray stuff" or
digital.

A slight bit of burning in or dodging isn't anything to get excited about as
"doing something wrong."

In the photo world of long long ago all kinds of "fiddling" was done by some
of the "greats of the day." You mentioned Gene Smith, my goodness he was a
master at it, manipulation without anyone knowing he'd done it.... However
not as great as some of the PhotoShop wonder kids of today.

If one is a photojournalist, a true recorder of the time, then there isn't
any need for fiddling other than the standard in darkroom/lightroom slight
burning in or dodging. Plus cropping, unless it changes the complete look
and displays an untruth.

However, if one is an astute user of cameras and the right lens at the
moment of exposure, then damn little needs to be done to the photo situation
at anytime.

In my medical books it's all film. Nor are there any manipulations other
than a slight burn down around the sides on the odd photo scene merely to
assist in focusing the viewer's eyes to the central body of the photograph.

I can honestly say what's there, was there. And what isn't there wasn't
there! It is pure photojournalism as you see it truth!

What I have a problem with are those so called photographers who add an
object, IE: baseball, puck, volley ball, basketball or any other projectile
used in sports to fix what they missed because of their inadequate ability
and skill as a photographer. So they cover their collective asses with a
Photoshop fix up. A pox on them all!

In those cases when caught ...... the shooter is fired immediately. Like
hello-goodbye yer out of here!!

Similarly so in adding people, taking people out and or any other screwing
around to "change what was there at the moment of the exposure."

Those of us who are true believers as photojournalist's, telling the truth
and showing the truth at the moment of the exposure, is paramount to what we
are as professionals. Quite frankly in all my years I never thought of
cheating on a photographic moment. Just never occurred to me. WHY?

Because I'm an old school photojournalist who tells the truth with my camera
at the moment of the exposure you had better not mess with a picture after
the fact!

When you've shot hundreds upon hundreds of documentaries where your work is
scrutinized by thousands, both in and out of whatever industry, profession
or life style it may be, you had better do it right and show it truthfully.

Too much of the world is slipping or has already into a second rate attitude
about telling the truth. And mediocrity is rampant everywhere. "Yeah that'll
do." is quite an acceptable attitude because "Charlie the PhotoShop king"
can fix anything.

Stock photography? Who cares what these people do as most of it is used in
some form of advertising, and who of that ilk tell the truth?

Photo art and illustrations? Once again, "Like heck do what you may,who
cares whether you add a hundred trees, a lake and South Pacific sandy
beaches! Just make it look beautiful!" But don't mess with anything that is
photojournalism.

There is an old saying...  "A photo lever lies!" Oh well there you go eh?
Hell there goes another element of truth these days! :-(

ted

Replies: Reply from tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield) ([Leica] integrity ?)