Subject: [Leica] Back to basics, this time...
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon Apr 16 01:45:23 2007

The only problem I had with mine was the rangefinder losing
calibration over time, probably the vibration of carrying it. This
problem is common to the almost identical unit in the Cosina
Voigtlander film cameras too. It too is a bit too IR sensitive, as I
have read are several of the Nikon digital SLRs.
I do have some great shots using my RD1 and have only needed to reset
the rangefinder once since i bought it.

It would not surprise me to find that all the focusing inaccuracies
being reported on the net for the M8 have always existed on M cameras
but were so difficult for an owner to check that the spotlight was
never on them. When one considers that some pretty massive design
compromises have to be chosen in the design of fast lenses,
particularly wide angle ones, it is not surprising to me to hear of
these compromises being brought to light by digital immediacy ie the
ability to immediately look at each picture.
It is well documented that two of the compromises accepted in the
Noctilux to get the f1 speed are focus shift with aperture and about
3 stops of vignetting. It also has relatively poor performance at
close distances, floating elements are the usual way of compensating
for this inherent problem in lenses and they are not part of the
Noctilux design. Somebody at Leica will have chosen an aperture at
which the rangefinder matches the point of focus, with compromise at
other apertures. It would appear that this aperture was not chosen as
f1. I find this surprising, since this would be presumably the
aperture at which any compromise would be most obvious. The fact that
so many people report a back focus on their Noctilux of around 5" at
5ft implies to me that that is what you get with the compromise at
"factory spec".
All of this is exacerbated by the ease with which the results can be
examined. When I set 1:1 in Lightroom my I am looking at a section of
my M8 pictures which would be from a 33" x 22" print, I am examining
it from about 20". I would never have been so exigent with film so
the "defects" I may notice on digital would never have been evident
to me on film.

Anyway after doing a few tests, I even dug out my old f1.2 Noctilux,
and having a bit of fun, I went back to taking pictures and doing a
few prints. They are spectacular. The size quality ratio has reached
a completely new level with the M8 in my experience. Brilliant!
Frank