Subject: [Leica] New M8 Firmware now ready.
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Thu Apr 12 09:02:45 2007

> So the unanswered question is - if I haven't gotten my IR Cut filters
> yet, will this firmware update do bad things to the color?

I've taken a few pictures to test this, and it doesn't seem to have affected
any aspect of the color. The documentation says that the firmware does

"Automatic compensation of color shifts at the edge of images resulting from
the use of
LEICA UV/IR filters on Leica M lenses with focal lengths of between 16 and
35mm."

I don't know if it has any way of telling whether or not I have such a
filter on the lens, but a dozen test shots taken with new firmware and
without a filter look fine to me.

Message from leica at dmason.net (Dave Mason) ([Leica] New M8 Firmware now ready.)