Subject: [Leica] love the camera, grouse about the company
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Mon Apr 9 13:46:23 2007

Today, 9 weeks and 2 days after I sent it in, I got my 35 Summilux back from
Leica US with its filter threads straightened. I had only owned it for about
a month when it got damaged; in particular, I hadn't yet gotten back the
paperwork on the Passport warranty. I would never even have bothered to send
it in except that I needed to be able to mount an IR filter on it.

So not only did these clowns take 65 days to repair my lens, they charged me
$136 for what should have been a 5-minute warranty repair because their
warranty-processing people are as slow as their repair people.

But I have it back. I don't think I will ever again send anything to Leica
USA for repair unless I absolutely have to.

It is a great lens and I'm so glad to have it back. Of course, they haven't
sent me the IR filter yet, even though I ordered that a couple of months
ago. It is not a great company, but I can't wish them ill, or they might
stop making cameras and lenses, and then the world would be a worse place.

Brian Reid

Replies: Reply from leica at dmason.net (Dave Mason) ([Leica] love the camera, grouse about the company)