Subject: [Leica] (no subject)
From: schneiderpix at mac.com (Robert Schneider)
Date: Sun Apr 8 18:03:26 2007

I'm not sure it is your opinion as much as your condescending attitude.
You're quite full of yourself.
________

This is rich. I drop in to say what I know of the whereabouts and
doings of B. D. Colen, a matter of great concern for some, it seems.
Since a passive-aggressive joke (a favorite form on the internets)
was uttered about B. D.'s attitude re: the M8, I also chose to echo
his sentiments.

Not good enough. At least one of the local cranks (George
Lottermoser) asked for the opinion to be expressed over my
signature.  Done and done.

Then two other perennial cranks (Doug Herr) and (Greg Lorenzo) refuse
to accept my OPINION on the assumption that I've never used an M8, an
issue that truly is neither here nor there to the discussion.

Then YOU chime in saying that I'm the one with the condescending
attitude.  Explain that one to me, please.

I expressed MY opinion on whether the M8 could possibly be a useful
tool in my work.  I don't see how it possibly could be.  I expressed
MY opinion that the M8 was released to the marketplace as a defective
product, one that did not work as intended. That's not only an
opinion, it's backed by fact.  If the M8 had been intended to produce
pink photographs, Leica would have stated as much in their user's
manual and would have stressed, from the start, the necessity of IR
cut-off filtration.  Instead, they waffled on the subject, then said
it was a "feature," then gave in to user and reviewer pressure to do
SOMETHING to lessen the problem, since they refused to recall the
cameras and install an effective IR filter on the sensor.

Tell me how using an M8 for extended period of time will convince me
that it's files aren't pink-to-purple without filters on all my
lenses, that the RAW files (with all of their color casts, cyan
vignettes, etc.) will be quicker to process than the files from my
Canon DSLRs, that a 1.3x sensor will give me the same angle of view
as a full-frame sensor, and that the ISO 1600 and ISO 3200 files will
be as clean as the ones I get from my Canons (oops, the M8 won't go
above 1250).

But no, because I, too, chose to question the quality of the latest
offering from the do-no-wrong gods of Solms, I'm ill-informed,
condescending, and full of myself?

I'm sorry that my opinion and/or perceived attitude offends you so.
But no one here has shown me a single piece of evidence to convince
me otherwise with regard to the M8.  And very few of the regular "big
shots" show much in the way of tolerance or acceptance of anyone
outside of their little clique.

rs

http://www.robertschneider.com
http://www.schneiderpix.com