Subject: [Leica] USAF Lens Resolution Chart
From: craig at craigschroeder.com (Craig Schroeder)
Date: Sun Apr 8 04:49:51 2007

I agree with your general sentiments, Frank.  When I first got the
Modern kit (must be 20-25 years ago!), I tested everything I owned and
was very involved in some comparison testing within a local photo club
where many members had their pride on the line in brand vs brand
bragging rights.  There at least was some entertainment value in that!
Where the targets have been handy, though, is in comparing two identical
lenses in deciding which to keep and also to validate suspicions
regarding a lens' behavior.  It was also a good way to measure sweet
spots on optics that seemed designed to a certain range of application.
It also showed that some optics, (such as Leica) may not have been quite
as sharp in a pure resolution sense in this type of testing but actually
produced superior transparencies because of their color behaviors and
separation.

The last the kit got used was 6-8 years back when I was accumulating
some Pentax 67 gear and ended up with many duplicate optics.  I found a
great amount of variation in these particular lenses and it was a great
aid in selecting which examples to retain and proved to be a very worthy
tool for that duty.

Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] USAF Lens Resolution Chart)