Subject: [Leica] A good while ago
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Apr 4 16:15:30 2007

Tina Manley said:
Subject: RE: [Leica] A good while ago

Ted said:
>Unfortunately the second rate bean counters and art director photo editors
>know this, but they don't care because.... "Charlie the super whiz on the
>PhotoShop machine can do wonders with anything and make it look great!"
>
>And that folks along with the every body digi shooter so called
photographer
>combined with dumb ass editor art directors is why we're in this situation!
>
>Put all that aside.....and I'd rather be a photojournalist doing what I
love
>with a passion, "documenting a situation!"<,,

Tina responded:
>>>You are absolutely right, Ted, but I feel sorry for the
photojournalists coming along today who can't afford to feed a family
on what they earn.  The News Photographer Magazine of NPPA is full of
stories of photographers being laid off and fired as the bean
counters find free photos that are "good enough".  The whole
profession is suffering from a lack of expectation of quality.<<<<

Hi Tina,

Unfortunately I think this bean counter driven world is the bain of our
times. Bigger profits for the owners is all that matters without any
consideration of the damages it creates for the cut staff or suppliers.

The only thing they relate to is the bottom line and damn the people they
hurt along the way. The greater the profit they create, the better their
bonus no matter how many families they destroy along the way. Or careers
they terminate.

While everyone can use a digital camera, including the bean counters, it's
the simplicity, press button see picture.... "WOW! Too easy!"

Which creates the bean counter to ask.... "Hey why the hell are we paying
the big salaries we do for a bunch of guys who just go click? I can do the
same thing with my digital camera or students we can get for free at the
local photo school? They'll love it for the experience and their pictures
published. Best part? It wont cost us a penny!"

Next move............ "lay off notices to the real photographers!" :-( :-(

Newspaper, magazine or publication pictures begin to deteriorate. Owner
doesn't care as long as the advertisers continue to buy space! A few readers
might pick-up on the worsening photos but it doesn't matter as it's the
advertising space sold that keeps the paper going. A few readers who
say...."the pictures are terrible." Are so few it's hardly worth worrying
about.

Quite frankly I'm damn glad where I am at this time in my life and not
fighting the mental midget bean counters for every penny we try to earn
these days.

It's a loosing battle for young and keen photographers of today. Hell it's
bad enough for the older shooters with skill and experience! :-(

>> The whole profession is suffering from a lack of expectation of
quality.<<<<

And as long as the basic idiot proof digital camera is available to the bean
counter who's just become a world class shooter because he can go...
"click-nice picture" :-( Quality will take the back burner to cost.

ted