Subject: [Leica] A good while ago
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Wed Apr 4 14:11:39 2007

Ted Grant wrote:
> Tina said:
>
>>> No, we are now "content providers" not photographers.  We are not the
>>>
> creatives anymore, the art directors are.  This is all microstock
> speak.  Just another reason to give less of the share and no rights
> to the "content providers."<<<
>
> Hi Tina & George,
> Photographers rarely were considered high priority people in relation to
> the
> journalists on a newspaper.

Yep as one old guy at the paper I interned at back in 1986 said
"Photographers are the red headed step children of the newsroom"  We
have always been tolerated as a necessary evil, but in most cases not
really considered "real" journalists.  Maybe because when it all began
it was the copy clerk who was handed a camera and told "Go make a photo
of the mayor for the article on the new school story" or whatever.
Finally after many years and those old stereo types being blown out of
the water by some great image makers, schools offering degrees in
journalism with a photo emphasis and the advent of photographers who
could not only make great photos but write a decent story...the image
faded somewhat.

Now comes the digital wonders and anyone can make a photo...hell all you
need is a cell phone, and here  comes rushing back the old habits of
Jimmy the copy boy with a camera dreaming of "making it" on page
one...but now instead of a check he gets a warm thank you and a
paper...for 50 cents.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography