Subject: [Leica] A good while ago
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Wed Apr 4 14:19:49 2007

Quite so Ted. We, who have a passionate relationship with
photographs, will continue to create images irrespective of the
economics.

You also point to another aspect of "A good while ago" - the quality
factor. I've always been drawn to photography of every sort:
documentary/journalism, fashion, portraiture, landscape, art,
whatever. I simply love photographs; both making them and looking at
them.

With that said:
Fashion - compare the aesthetic quality of photographs in Vogue or
Harper's Bazarr from 1955 - 85 (Avedon, Scavullo and Penn, etc.) and
today.
Portrait - Jorge Lewinski's Women of the 1960s, Bob Collins' studies
of Artists at work in the 1970s, Yousuf Karsh, etc.
Take each photo category and compare.
Compare the popular photo rags of 1940's, 50's, 60's, to today's
drivel versions.

Yes. There are some fine photographic publications. But they have
become extremely narrow in their scope; which is fine; still
wonderful to look at.

And of course fine work continues to be done by those with passion
for the media, including a great many on this wonderful list. But
where do we see their work in print (hat off and glass raised to
Kyle)? Where is the market for "fine" photography in any particular
field today? And what are their creative fees compared to 20, 30 or
40 years ago?

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com