Subject: [Leica] Is 1999 Nocti have problem with M8
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Apr 3 10:25:06 2007

At 10:14 PM +0700 4/3/07, Jerry Justianto wrote:
>Correct me if I am wrong:
>
>The way that I read is only the old Noctilux (and old 75 Summilux)
>that have focus shift problem with M8 but the new ones are not
>(include the recent 1999 Noct).
>
>JSJ

Focus shift is due to compromises made intrinsically to the design of
lenses, and is not due to sample variations. All f/1 Nocti are of the
same design and therefore will have similar focus shift. The only
difference will be how your rangefinder is set up. That will, to a
degree, determine how noticeable that shift is at various apertures
and distances.

It has always been hard to nail the focus with the Noctilux, so a
certain number of out-of-focus pictures have always been accepted,
but now with immediate feedback and hi-res pixel peeping the issue is
upfront and can't be ignored as easily.

Only very highly corrected, slow lenses with floating elements can
really be accurately focussed over a range of distances at all their
apertures. If you want high speed, you've got problems, especially if
aspherics aren't employed, as focus shift is a spherical aberration
issue. Then there are chromatic aberrations, which require apo
correction to (partially) get under control. These, in conjunction
with spherical aberration cause the focus shift to be different under
tungsten light than daylight. Then there is the fact that lenses will
not perform the same at different focus distances. So you have to
introduce floating elements.

The 75/2 fully exemplifies this type of design, and it's also easier
to do as it's an f/2 and has a narrower angle of view. In turn, it's
probably the best performing lens on the M8, and truly shows what
that camera can do.

So you would wind up with a Noctilux that would probably weigh a lot
more, be bigger, and cost twice as much, and would have harsh bokeh.

I think sticking with the current design might not be a bad decision.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Is 1999 Nocti have problem with M8)