Subject: [Leica] OT: Tivoli Model One Hi-Fi radio
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Apr 2 21:19:43 2007

On 4/2/07 12:07 PM, "Peter Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net> typed:

> LUGgers: My faithful kitchen clock radio has given up the ghost after many
> years. I want to replace it with something that has good sound and good FM
> reception. I mostly listen to classical music, NPR news and jazz. It
> doesn't have to replace my living room stereo, but I want good sound, as
> we spend a lot of time in the kitchen/dining area.
>
> After reading reviews, it looks like the Tivoli Model One has about the
> best cost/performance ratio, and many people speak highly of it. Any of
> you folks have experience with it?
> http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php?productid=139&cat=262&page=1
>
> The Bose Waveguide radio appears overpriced, and many people say the
> Tivoli actually sounds better.
>
> Now for a wrinkle.  Right now, Radio Shack has a radio that looks
> suspiciously like the Tivoli with the controls slightly rearranged.
> It'son sale for $50--a far cry from the Tivoli's $120 price.  I'm
> wondering if it is the same radio made by the same Chinese factory, or if
> the similarity is only skin-deep.
>
> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2560351&cp=2032057.20321
> 85&parentPage=family
>
> --Peter

The thing I read said the Bose did not have a bass treble control a glaring
exclusion as the thing is supposedly overwhelmingly bassy.
And that the Tivoli is the one to get. No mention of the Radio shack was a
generic Tivoli but I'd never heard of Radio Shack doing stuff like that's.
Besides they're ugly. The Tivoli being the opposite of ugly by a long shot.
Radio shack can't think up good sounding brand names.
I remember Acrosonic. And acrimonious sounding brand name if ever I heard
one.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY