Subject: [Leica] More M8 questions
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Apr 1 22:32:34 2007

On 4/1/07 10:20 PM, "Leonard Taupier" <len-1@comcast.net> typed:

> Brian,
>
> The point I'm trying to make is don't try and fix a $10,000.00 (M8
> and Noctilux) piece of equipment yourself. I'm in the same boat as
> you are. I sent a lens to Leica January 13th and it didn't go to
> Solms and I'm told I'll get it "soon". Maybe this is Leica's way of
> getting out of warranty service.
>
> I've never had to get a Nikon repair in 40 years and I have a lot of
> their gear. I guess that's one reason why I keep it.

Did you use them?
Myself and most my pro friend who've used Nikons for 3 decades more or less
all had to have work on them once in a while. I've had shutters replaced and
prisms. I never thought anything of it its the price of using your gear.
I'd suspect no service no use. No offence. This is the internet. Few do.
I suspect Leicas also need service from time to time. I'd hope a bit less
than Nikons but Leicas are more mechanical on the average than Nikons.

Service occasionally would be expected especially when you get stuff from a
camera company famous for ultra low tech a new ultra high tech never tried
or tested  which they have no experience in making. A digital M. the M8.
I'd think there'd be some kinks in there coming out of the gate.
Pure amazing luck if it didn't.
The luck of the Irish. And the Germans are German. Less lucky maybe. Less
gift of gab too.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY