Subject: [Leica] Pano Buddha///
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Mon Apr 2 14:45:34 2007

On Apr 2, 2007, at 4:27 PM, Richard wrote:
> http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/data/3228/3Scan-070402-0002.jpg

'tis a very strong image indeed.

> Natural for some calligraphy, don't you think?

I have yet to answer this somewhat complex question regarding words
and images; and how they work or don't work together.

> George: buy your XPan back :-)

Reality: I mostly do not "see" panoramically. When I had the camera I
felt like I was always forcing the pano aspect but not really
"seeing" that way. I find it much more comfortable to carry the 2:3
aspect ratio and if I truly "see" a square or pano then crop
accordingly. And yes the fact that the xPan allowed one to shoot 2:3
with the flip of a switch is really cool; it isn't the M in terms of
the size, fast lenses and general ergonomics. It is a lovely camera
and does what it was built to do very well. The few months that I
owned the 30mm were fun. But, in the end it just didn't call to my
visual sensibility and spent far too much time on the shelf. Of
course each time I see an xPan image that "works" - as many of yours
do - well - then the woulda, coulda, shoulda sets in. ;~)

The M's whether film or digital really feel like "my" always-with-me
cameras.

All other cameras have their unique functions which I also love to
work with.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com