Subject: [Leica] M8 and Macintosh
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Mon Apr 2 06:49:55 2007

Greetings all--

Anyone on LUG using a Mac with their M8? I got my M8 last week and
have been very frustrated with trying to download and view photos
from it on my Macs (MacBook and MacPro).

To begin with, when I connect the camera to the computer, the usual
icon for an external storage device does not appear on the desktop,
although the USB connection message appears on the M8's LCD.

Second, Aperture (which I had configured to launch upon connection of
a digital camera) nevertheless tries to launch (meaning the computer
has detected the camera), but hangs up most of the time and I have to
Force Quit to get out. Once every 8 or 10 launches, Aperture does
start up successfully and the M8 appears in the program's "Import"
list. From there I am able to download the images, although still no
icon for the camera appears on the desktop.

Third, when I stop Aperture from launching automatically upon
detection, instead manually launching it after connecting the camera
(still no desktop icon), it starts up successfully but does not
recognize the camera. When I try to quit Aperture, it hangs and will
not quit, even if I disconnect the camera.

Fourth, much the same as above occurs when I try to use Capture One
or Digital Capture. Sometimes the camera is detected, usually not,
and Force Quit may be required.

Finally, the instruction manual, in the section on downloading images
with a Mac, states: "Use the program 'Digital Pictures' to transfer
pictures from the card to the computer." There IS no such program on
the CDs supplied with the camera. This might have been a misprint for
the supplied program "Digital Capture", but as far as I can tell (it
comes with NO instructions), this program only functions to remotely
operate an attached M8, not offering any capability of uploading
images already in the camera. (Capture One also, as far as I can
tell, offers no provision for uploading images from a camera, only
dealing with images already on the computer.)

Anyone else having similar experiences--or hopefully, better ones?
Any suggestions? Or do I have to call Leica USA or buy a USB card
reader to try?

Thanks,

--howard

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] M8 and Macintosh)