Subject: [Leica] IMG: WAS Another Mustang, NOW Aardvark and Vimy
From: ISILVERMN at aol.com (ISILVERMN@aol.com)
Date: Sun Apr 1 11:24:49 2007

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 18:43:55 +1000 "G Hopkinson" _hoppyman@bigpond.net.au_
(mailto:hoppyman@bigpond.net.au)  wrote:

"I recognise the tail end of an F111 in the background there (I spent  quite
some time around these). We call them pigs over this way. Where is this
facility? Is it like the boneyard at Davis-Monthan, or a display area?"

Hi Hoppy,

It's the March Field Air Museum, set up alongside the old March Air Force
Base in Riverside, CA.  Very nice collection of close to 100 aircraft in
various stages of restoration.

Here is the FB-111A you saw earlier, taken from beneath the tail of a  B-52.

_http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/GD+FB-111A+Aardvark.j
pg.html_
(http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/GD+FB-111A+Aardvark.jpg.html)

I also thought you might enjoy this one.  It's the replica Vickers  Vimy
that
flew from England to Australia in 1994.

_http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/Vimy+in+flight.jpg.ht
ml_
(http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/Vimy+in+flight.jpg.html)

At the time I took the picture in 2001, it had been re-engined  wiith BMW
V-8s, and scheduled to duplicate the Alcock and Brown Transatlantic  Flight
of
1919.  The next day, it flew to Arizona, where BMW had it  grounded for
insurance reasons.  It eventually was re-engined again, and  duplicated the
1919
flight in 2004.

Best regards,

Ira