Subject: [Leica] bring a Leica to Disneyworld?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Mar 28 21:50:15 2007

On 3/29/07 1:31 AM, "Nathan Wajsman" <nathan@nathanfoto.com> typed:

> Mark,
>
> Not true, at least in the Western world hand luggage scanners are safe
> for film. I have in my home and office several A3 sized prints shot on
> 1600 film (Neopan) which had been through multiple scans, back when I
> was commuting to Spain in 2004. Sometimes the same roll would be through
> the scanner at Schiphol, then in Madrid to get on the high-speed train,
> then in Sevilla for the return trip to Madrid, then at Madrid airport
> for the trip home etc.--never a problem. Never. Of course not all images
> were enlarged to such sizes, but all the ones that are on my web site
> were looked at in Photoshop at 100% (when removing dust spots) and I
> never saw any ill effects of the airports.
>
> The only ruined rolls of film I have ever experienced were due to
> operator error (i.e. me opening the camera before rewinding the film...)
>
> Nathan

That's good to know than thanks Nathan.

But we have apples and oranges situation in that the excellent shots on your
site are typically generously 510x750 pixels. Bigger than most and a size I
like at 72 dpi screen size like 5x7 inch.
But at 300 dpi for a print would become a measly 2 and a quarter 3 and a
quarter inch contact sheet for brownie film size. So as a major component of
your work is not exacting as to such stuff as I'm mentioning. Its far less
exacting than a snapshot would be in showing up x ray marks or various other
marks of defect.

But your big prints before mentioned certainly would be a contender for
showing up such bad stuff if it was there the way I see it.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com