Subject: [Leica] OT Thoughts on Irish whiskeys
From: charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer)
Date: Sun Mar 25 19:40:48 2007

As a former gin-slinger at the Irish Times on Capitol Hill ('An
airplane hangar with personality'), and having spent some significant
time on islands north of the Channel, I remember when a junketing TD
appeared at a birthday party, mine, cradling a bottle of duty-free
Powers ('Three Swallows' for the initiated).  Left when the bottle
was empty.  For a long time, Tullamore Dew had to be smuggled back in
one's baggage, another case of distillers/distributors  redlining the
market.  An act of war, some thought, 'Drink having been taken'.
Ergo, it is not hard to believe that the 'garlic-breathers' at Pernod
would pull a similar stunt with Paddy.

Scotland was fun too...one could get a taste of non-mass marketed
single malts and not look far to find them.  Hint: Don't put a rare
single malt in your luggage close to the Transportation Security
Administration Christmas Party.

In so-called 'control states', a legacy of the repeal of the
Eighteenth Amendment (and a sop to the lunatics who still thought
Volstead had merit), one must jump through hoops to get the state
liquor board to order the interesting stuff, and then only in case
lots.  Hence, plenty of rail vodka one wouldn't do a back-alley CLA
with, but forget something of obscure taste.  Liquor distribution
schemes like this make the states tons of money.  Even when the right
wingers were in the Virginia governor's mansion, and eyeing
everything for privatization, the government-run ABC liquor store
system was a retained shrine to Soviet-era central economic control,
but it did pay well.  Privatization of the Virginia state liquor
stores flew like a lead balloon, as I recall. Buy liquor in DC,
cigarettes in Virginia, and a house in West Virginia. (Yes, Marc, I
am aware what Section 2 of the Twenty-first Amendment says. <grin>.)

Forbidden fruits are always the sweetest.

Meanwhile, back to the Grand Marnier bottle I am in 'Executive
Session' with.

Charlie

"Decaf? Listen, lady, this is a bar.  Everything we sell is bad for
you. We're proud of that."