Subject: [Leica] OT: eBay Scams on high-dollar items
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 19:17:44 2007

This reminds me of a few years back when I attended a class on information
security taught by one of this countries intelligence agencies.  They had
worked with several of the banking institutuions on how to protect
information, and devised a test, where they put signs up at each of the
banks automated banking machines telling the customers to put their teller
receipts in a basket next to the teller machines.  They figured that 10 to
20% would do this.  What they found was that over 85% of the customers
actually dropped their receipts in the basket!  the reciepts have
information about your account on them and could give someone information
about you.  They were surprised that such a large percentage would actually
do this.  The positive thing out of this is that the banking institutions
did change how and what  information is put on the receipts after that.
People are very gullable, unfortunately, along with careless aobut
protecting information about themselves.

Gene