Subject: [Leica] 3 New pictures posted
From: amr3 at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Tue Mar 20 10:27:24 2007

>Luis Ripoll wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have posted three new pics
>>
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/luisrq/Barcelona/070201-15w.jpg.html
>>
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/luisrq/Barcelona/070201-16w.jpg.html
>>
>> and this one of a man smoking his Sunday cigar (this is one is my
>> favourite)
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/luisrq/Barcelona/070201-24w.jpg.html
>>
>> All with Leica MP, Summilux 75 and Plus X
>>
>> Thanks for looking, C&C will be appreciated
>>
>> Saludos desde Barcelona
>> Luis

My favorite is the cigar smoker, but I'd like to see a version with a bit
of the left cropped off, as well as the small point sticking in on the
right.  It's hard to get rid of every distraction when street shooting, but
I think it is worth striving for the clearest possible image.

I've heard this discipline called macro composition.  As an example of what
to look for (when time permits), examine your picture #16w.  The light
triangle behind the man's nose bothers me; it looks like he has two noses.
These things happen in an active situation, but if you are aware of
possible mergers, etc.
it will become second nature to scan the scene even as you compose, and
your shooting will benefit. One of my personal obsessions is making sure
that there are no tonal mergers in the important parts of the picture.  I
like to put dark against light, or light against dark.  This probably comes
from taking so many pictures for B&W publications, where I had no control
over the quality of reproduction, and thus wanted the image to speak even
with bad printing.

I hope you don't mind the extended comments.

Alan

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer
Photo Services