Subject: [Leica] OT: large print output service?
From: lists at gilplant.com (J. Gilbert Plantinga)
Date: Mon Mar 19 19:25:15 2007

Richard,

Trying to make a large format printer pay for itself is a full-time
job. I don't know how many people actually buy these beasts for
personal non-commercial work, though I know a handful of professional
photographers who own 24" and 44" printers (mostly Epson); most of
the large-format owners that I know, myself included, consider the
personal use of the machine a perk of ownership.

Consider where you are located. Do you have a potential local
clientele? I live in a community with a large population of artists
and a University fine art program, I'm near New York City but don't
have the expensive overhead of the commercial labs in the city.
However I also have local competition.

Are you sure that a 24" printer is big enough? The first client who
needs a 30 x 40 will go elsewhere, and he probably won't be back
(unless you figure out a way to outsource oversize jobs).

Keeping a printer running at a profit will require service - your
costs will exceed the simple price of paper and ink.

Don't count on the printer producing prints that "look pretty darn
good" by itself. Be expert with Photoshop. People, both amateurs and
professional photographers and artists, will bring you images that
need work before you hit the print button, and your success will
depend on your skill and experience.

Feel free to contact me off-list,

J. Gilbert Plantinga
Upstate Light