Subject: [Leica] Ir filter and film cameras, take it off
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun Mar 18 21:22:01 2007

At 4:02 PM -0700 3/18/07, Frank Filippone wrote:
>Can you be more specific?  What particular brand of which filter #?
>
>According to the filter specs. Most film should not be affected.....
>notice the words ... most and should......
>
>I will compare specs of film spectral density and filter pass band......
>
>Fancy words for taking another look at how the 2 should work together......
>
>Frank Filippone
>red735i@earthlink.net

Frank, all the IR hot filters that work by means of interference
coatings will do that. Once the incidence angle is too great, the
frequency shift causes the colour shifts. No help for it.

Transmission subtraction filters ('dyed' or 'sandwiched') filter
don't do that hardly at all, but the cutoff frequency for IR
suppression isn't nearly as steep, so aren't that useful in general.

So. Take off the IR hot filter when shooting film, or deal with the
same cyan drift in the corners with WA lenses as the digital shooters
do; ie, scan the film and then correct the radial luminance errors in
the correct frequency. No good for slide shows though.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Ir filter and film cameras, take it off)