Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 34, Issue 231: ASPH vs. Aspherical
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Mar 13 05:38:06 2007

On 3/13/07 3:15 AM, "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com> typed:

> You probably can not answer this :-) but are the lenses which were
> designed with the hot pressed ASPH elements such as the 21, 24, 35 f2
> and second 35 f1.4 still hot pressed and the later lenses with larger
> diameter asph elements ground, or have they changed the manufacturing
> method of the asph elements in these as well?
> Frank

My impression was that they have. That they decided the hot press just did
not work out. Kept a real low profile during this transition interestingly.
See what Don says. Possible we still are not being filled in on the details
to give the transition proper perspective. Like the Hot press machine didn't
perform efficiently would be one thought. So they sold it to a dry cleaner.
But it was not like they were keeping secrets.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com