Subject: [Leica] Re: software overload (WAS: why users love it)
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Mar 12 20:53:12 2007

I think that in the digital world, one can make life more complicated
than it needs to be. One could easily end up with several programs on
the computer to deal with the photographs: a browser of some sort (like
ACDSee), a stand-alone RAW converter (or maybe more than one), Photoshop
and various add-ons, something to catalog and keyword the photos and I
don't know what else. I think all this gets in the way and have always
tried to look for the simple solutions. I have avoided the standalone
RAW converters and have instead tried to learn to use the one in
Photoshop to best effect; I still have been forced to use ACDSee
(Windows) or Photo Mechanic (Mac) for the initial selection and culling
of images because the File Browser in Photoshop was too slow and clunky.
Bridge in CS2 helped a bit, but the real salvation for me has now
arrived in the form of Lightroom: finally I have one piece of software
that I can use for the entire workflow--and on that rare occasion where
I need to do something that Lightroom cannot do, Photoshop can be
launched from within that program. Life on my Mac is now simple and
simplicity is a Good Thing.

Nathan