Subject: [Leica] OT: Mountain-Climbing and Ansel Adams and Mark Rabiner
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Mar 8 20:52:02 2007

> Finney's epic tale of Marin County and screwing
> the cops on the Golden Gate Bridge from the
> 1970's is also worth a read, especially if you've
> lived there, as I have.  What a hoot!
>
> Marc

I've been walking by the Dakota coming home often not knowing what it was.
I walked by it the night before last coming back from the Movie at Lincoln
center.
But found out earlier this week about it. So I had my eye out for it that
night.
Besides Lennon its where Rosemary's Baby was shot.
That movie scared the hell out of me almost more than The Exorcist.
And its where Lauren Bacall lives. And Leonard Bernstein lived. And other
LB's I'm sure.

And was called such becuae it was so far out of town that you might as well
be living in North or South Dakota.
That is true.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/The_Dakota_1880s.jpg

Its on 72nd and this week I've gotten into this weird numbers thing with
people mainly from literary sources living in NY:

I've read some NY kind of books and just finished Catcher in the Rye and it
turns out my insight is different and a bit better than it was when I was 14
when I read it the age most people read it. 1964 The character in it was 16.
So now he's not "a big kid" getting into bars. I found I'd traced many of
HC's paths over 4 months I've been here. And before.
So it turns out he, the Glass Family lived on E71st.
Wednesday I'm looking up Holly Golightly of Breakfast in Tiffany's and she
lives also on 71st street E. So that's a real coincidence.
So when Holly Golightly wants a cup of sugar she goes next door and gets one
from Holden Caulfield. Could I have made that up its ringing a bell?
Today I look up Dorothy Parker and I don't have to tell you which street she
lived on. At one point. But on the west side. Next time I get interested in
some writer or something I'm afraid to look up where they live.

The Dakota is just on the next block. 72nd street. And my street which is
Central Park West. Which is in effect 8th Avenue.
This is the street I lived in when I was a kid in the 50s before we moved to
the suburbs. Not the Dakota though it was dark but not that dark. Don't know
where on this street no records go back that far.
The Dakota Only 38 blocks 38 minutes away by foot.
20 blocks to the mile.

I've not seen the carrousel yet its in the park off 66th s.
But burnt down in 1950.
So the picture on the cover of The Catcher hard cover (HC) is of which
horses?
HC (Holden Caulfield) had his Christmas vacation outing there in 1949.

There's another 71st ave famous flash from the past person but I cant think
who it was.

With my this year IIIF I find myself shooting with two 1950s vintage lenses.
Good for photographing such landmarks.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY