Subject: [Leica] OT: Mountain-Climbing and Ansel Adams and Mark Rabiner
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Mar 8 19:41:02 2007

At 09:17 PM 3/8/2007, Mark Rabiner wrote:

 >Almost every day I climb from where I am now at the top left corner point
 >of
 >Central Park - Frederick Douglass Circle which is known as MANHATTAN VALLEY
 >up Cathedral Parkway which is 110th 1500 ft to Broadway which is known as
 >MORNINGSIDE HEIGHTS. Or "THE HEIGHTS" if you are a Beat Poet. I don't huff
 >and puff too much but its the way down that kills me. I had my knee done a
 >year and a half ago and I think it needed to be done more.
 >The Doc said I can climb hills I'm just not allowed to go down them.
 >This makes for some some occasional logistical problems.

For a bit of history of your adopted city, Mark,
I can most highly recommend the writings of that
denizen of the City (San Francisco), Jack Finney,
in his TIME AND AGAIN and FROM TIME TO
TIME.  Finney was hung up on having his character
meet a fellow in 1882 who had been alive when
George Washington was alive;  in 1958, I knew a
fellow who lived next to me who had seen the
Yankee troops marching home in 1865.  We are all
part of history.  And the Dakota, the building
where John Lennon was made a permanent part of
history, plays a major part as well in the first book.

Finney's epic tale of Marin County and screwing
the cops on the Golden Gate Bridge from the
1970's is also worth a read, especially if you've
lived there, as I have.  What a hoot!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!