Subject: [Leica] 25mm f/1.4 "normal" 4/3's lens hits
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu Mar 8 04:08:02 2007

When the 4/3 system was first announced one of their statements was
that conventional film lenses were unsuitable for digital sensors and
that special lenses needed designing such that the light rays
impinging on the sensor are at 90 degrees to it. This requires both a
huge mount diameter and the exit pupil at infinity (impossible?).
There was much discussion many years ago about this, at the same time
Leica had announced that there would be no digital M camera for the
same reason, the exit pupil of rangefinder wa lenses being very close
to the film. It was thought that slr lenses were probably generally
sufficiently telecentric to get away without designing new lenses
specially for digital sensors.
Clearly there is more vignetting when using RF lenses for digital
than there was on film, even taking account of the offset microlenses
Leica used on the M8. This seems to allow its 1.33x sensor to perform
as well in this respect as the smaller 1.5x epson RD1 sensor. It
seems likely that they were completely correct that a bigger sensor
would have too many problems with RF lenses to bother to try to use
one unless a new sensor technology arrives.
History has shown that customers gets what they want, so we got the
RD1 and M8, and digital cameras to take existing lenses designed for
film. It is clear that there are compromises in these digital
rangefinders, and, to a lesser extent, the EOS 5D and EOS 1Ds with
compromised corner performance due to the lenses not being optimised
for digital sensors. To what extent these compromises are acceptable
to the user will be personal preference.
Whether there is any long term benefit in the engineering spec of the
4/3 mount/lenses which makes the potential optical benefits overcome
the sensor size disadvantage only time will tell.
Frank