Subject: [Leica] IMG: Florida Wildlife
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Mon Mar 5 17:49:49 2007

On Mar 5, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Tina Manley wrote:

> At 07:33 PM 3/5/2007, you wrote:
>> It's easy to make fun of these folks. Yes, walking would be good
>> but I
>> have a feeling that they're in those motorized chairs because they
>> have lost mobility and CANNOT walk.
>>
>> Adam Bridge
>
> All of that is true, Adam, but I was very depressed by the number
> of people at Disney who were in these scooters because they can't
> walk and in spite of that they were in line to buy and eat funnel
> cakes and donuts and cotton candy.  I've seen many documentaries on
> obese people who manage with great will power to lose weight and
> then gain it all back. There has to be something in the American
> society today that is causing people to be so obsessed with food.
> There were many other nationalities at Disney World.  I made it a
> point to seek them out.  None were as obese as the North
> Americans.  The Japanese were skinny - all of them.  All of the
> morbidly obese people in the motorized scooters were North
> Americans.  Why?  I hesitated to post these photos because I was
> sure somebody would respond the way you did, but I truly want to
> know what it is in our society that causes this.  They have to know
> that they are eating themselves to death.  It wasn't just these
> two. There were hundreds of people at Disney just like this.  One
> of the most depressing sights was a very obese woman in a motorized
> chair who had made room for her obese young son to stand in front
> of her and ride rather than walk.  To me it's very sad.  I'll admit
> I do not understand it.

it's all very tragic, I have no answers either. But it seems to be
part of our national madness of self indulgence,  always more is better.

The answer of course is eat less, eat healthy, exercise more....
clearly many at the stage of the people in this photo don't do any of
these things...

These people don't put weight on because they ride in a cart, they
put weight on because they eat too much...  period.

the cart comes later, it doesn't stop the progression, sure... it may
accelerate it...

death by cheeseburger... high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes...

and on....

for God's sake people...

let's get real...

Steve