Subject: [Leica] WAS: Exposure and Development ZONE SYSTEM ;-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Mar 3 14:11:40 2007

I have to confess, well Ok tomorrow is Sunday. ;-) So I figure that's OK.
;-)

The Zone system? Never understood it simply because I've always been a 35mm
kind of guy with a few years of Hassi and TLRollies all tied together with
the 35's..

It seemed to me the Zone system was really of great use to folks shooting
rocks, ferns and non-breathing things. One sheet at a time.

The rest of us it's been pretty well real life and breathing.

Like I always figured if one were into the zone sytem while walking down the
street it could be very interesting. Suddenly there's a scream from the 52nd
floor of a high building. You look up and there's a person on the way to the
ground. I the 35mm shooter start shooting the action tickey tickey all the
way to the big splash. :-)

The ZONE FOLK look up, the body is hurtling though a number of shades of
light. Now they decide what "zone the falling body is in." Of course very
adapt at this kind of estimating they quickly decide on ZONE 1!

Remember I'm using a number system merely to explain and has nothing to do
with real ZONE numbers, because I don't have a clue what the heck they are
anyway." :-)

Unfortunately the ZONE shooter realizes the falling body has now moved into
ZONE 3 and quickly makes camera adjustment for 3. Shooter looks up from
camera and it's "damn! Now the body is in a ZONE  6!" !!!!!!!!!  Back to
camera!

Now remember the body is "free falling from the 52nd floor and nearing
ground level!"

ZONE shooter's head is back to camera, another fast adjustment for ZONE 6!

Looks back for the picture and it's WHAM BAM, BLOOD AND GUTS ALL OVER THE
PLACE! Waits a moment, decides the stuff looks really cool in a ZONE 4.5
makes adjustment, looks back as the paramedics are clearing up the
mess........ oops!!
 TOO LATE! ;-) Again! ;-)

Packs camera and moves down the street to the cemetary because it's sure as
heck nothing is moving nor breathing there! ;-) And without question the
ZONE system is the absolute ideal perfect answer for this type of
scene....... the cemetary "ONE SHEET OF FILM AT A TIME!" :-)

There you go, and I bet you thought I didn't know when and where to use the
ZONE system. ;-)

Oh, then there's the other zone.... jeesh nearly forgot about this one. You
really don't want to go there with a camera any time...........THE
DE-MILITARIZED ZONE!" ;-)

Actually that's the only real ZONE I have any experince with. :-) And did go
with a camera, several actually, created a little bit of concern with the
400mm! ;-) It was interesting. :-)
I just smiled at the other guys and waved! :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] WAS: Exposure and Development ZONE SYSTEM ;-))
Message from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] Exposure and Development)
Message from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] Exposure and Development)