Subject: [Leica] Neopan-Xtol Xpert-Tease Sought - Cutting-To-Chase Version
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Mar 1 10:53:22 2007

On 3/1/07 1:33 PM, "Michiel Fokkema" <michiel.fokkema@wanadoo.nl> typed:

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>>> I've also used 1+3 for 12min. But this gave me too much grain.
>>>
>>> Shooting at 1600 gives me way too much contrast.
>>

>> Michael contrast is controlled by film development. Not exposure. Which is
>> setting your ISO at a different number.
>>

> Doesn't overexposure and underdevelopment lower contrast and increase
> shadow detail? At least that is what  I see in the techdocs of Xtol.
> I always thought we have to expose for the shadows and develop for the
> highlights?
> I guess I have to try again on  1600 and develop less.

Mainly what is lowering contrast is the fact that its getting less
development. The highlight density is lowered so the whole tonal range of
the neg is lowered..

The fact that you are then over exposing raising the density of the thin
shadow tones as well as the high tones making for a  kind of veiling.
This could be called the lowering of contrast. But it's a side issue to that
effect.
It's by now a thoroughly trashed neg. (being hard on you but its true)

If one errs on the side of underexposure at least we end up with a clean
well separating neg. we could loose shadow detail. But our eye goes there
last. After its decided its seen a viable image.

Our overall impression of the print is fixed in our eye by the look of the
lighter areas. We go to the light.  We look at shadow information later. If
we have the time.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY