Subject: [Leica] The Elusive Digilux 3 compared to the L1 and Oly 330E
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Tue Feb 27 02:38:24 2007

Alaistair Didier,

I offer the following comments based on my experience with my Oly
330E and L 1 and the OLy 14 - 54 and Leica 14 - 50 Elmarit. Sorry for
the delay in commenting but I only get the digest.

> Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:11:46 +0100
> From: Didier Ludwig <leica@screengang.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] The Elusive Digilux  3 compared to the L1 and Oly
>       330E
> To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
>
> Alastair
>
> I have followed several discussions about that on a german oly
> forum. Yes the O.I.S. works with the Vario Elmarit on a Oly e-330
> body - but in the "stabilize: always" mode only.

True.

> Oly users reported it is very power consuming and the accus went
> down in less than the half of the usual time when they used the
> Leica lens.

This is not my experience. I haven't noticed battery consumption
variations when using the Oly lenses verses the Leica zoom on the
330E. That may be because I wasn't looking for it but in any event I
always carry a spare battery. Battery consumption in my experience is
about the same for each camera body irrespective of lens used.
Obviously your mileage can vary!

> Others also reported the O.I.S. significantly lowers the picture
> quality in terms of sharpness and contrast.

Good grief! Not my experience at all. Both lenses with OIS on provide
outstanding images - with my taste leaning towards the colour and
contrast drawn by the Elmarit.

> One user wrote he had to fix the Elmarit's aperture ring as it did
> not work in manual mode on the oly e-330.

The Oly 330E body does not recognize the input of the movement of the
Elmarit's aperture ring. The Oly needs to be set to Shutter Priority
and the control wheel behind the program dial spun to reduce the
shutter speed until the aperture of the Elmarit reaches f22. Then
move the programming priority to Program "P" and the Oly will work in
that program and control the aperture of the Elmarit. Move the
control dial to Aperture priority with the Elmarit aperture set to
f22 by the wheel and Aperture priority will control the lens
aperture. If a user wants to change the aperture of the Elmarit he or
she has to use the control wheel. Nothing to fix!

> Optical quality seems to be almost equal; the Zuiko may be a tad
> better, as users reported the Vario Elmarit vignets slightly more @
> wide angle/wide open.

The vignetting of the Elmarit depends, I think, on the positioning of
the shade which tends to twist around if not securely set. If
properly set, white line on shade to white dot on lens barrel I don't
see any difference in image quality between the two lenses. If you
don't need IS obviously the Oly 14 - 54 lens is cheaper and gives you
4mm more length at the telephoto end.

> On the plus side, the Vario Elmarit on L1/D-3  is said to be faster
> in autofocus mode than the Zuiko (both used on a e-330).

Can't comment on this as I haven't made the comparison. Focusing on
the Oly or the L 1 is not in the same league as Canon or Nikon
professional bodies but not bad. Low light focusing is pretty
marginal. Time then to switch to the M8! :-)

> The users recommended the Zuiko 14-54 for Oly bodies, and the Leica
> 14-50 for the L1/Digilux-3 bodies, but not a cross-over combination.

For me, I like using the Elmarit on my Oly 330E to the extent that I
have sold my Oly 14 - 54. Didn't seem like I needed to duplicate the
lens focal lengths with two lenses. Just my several cents worth!

> Didier

Cheers
Howard (in Hong Kong)

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] The Elusive Digilux 3 compared to the L1 and Oly 330E)