Subject: [Leica] Coffee shops
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sun Feb 25 18:55:38 2007

Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:
Don,
Nice set - there seems to be a disconnect in that everyone seems to be on
there own trip in a coffee shop? Is that normal? I know that laptops in
general are not conducive to good conversation....
===================================
Good questions.  Made me think of the coffee shops here.  At my favorite
shop there are two seating areas.  One has traditional cafe tables and
chairs and the other has overstuffed leather chair seating with low tables.
People with laptops tend to favor the cafe tables for obvious reasons, and a
fair number of them stay in "private" mode, intent on their computers.
People who want to mainly socialize tend to drift to the overstuffed chairs,
where the atmosphere is similar to a home living room.  The chairs are
arranged in groups of four facing inward, with a low coffee table in the
middle.  Like this: http://pswango.smugmug.com/gallery/765613#38204511

Of course you can always use your laptop in your lap ;-)  :
http://pswango.smugmug.com/gallery/1857176#93222053

But we are in the university area and a lot of people come to the coffee
shop to do school work.  I don't think they're being antisocial.  I go there
with something to read.  If I don't find any friends there I read, but I'm
not trying to avoid socializing.  In fact much of my social life is in the
coffee shop.  Most of my friends hang out there too.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE