Subject: [Leica] Re: GPS
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun Feb 25 11:32:14 2007

The GPS constellation orbits about 12,000 miles above the surface, NOT
in low Earth orbit. The satellite the Chinese hit was about 500 miles
up. This is useful for hitting spy satellites but getting up to 12,000
miles is a different kettle of fish and MUCH  more difficult. There's
a reason they are that high.

Add in the ESA constellation at 14,000 miles or so and you have a
difficult problem. Vehicles built to reach either constellation are
NOT aircraft launchable and I think they are sufficiently large as to
be not portable-launch either.

Since shooting at either constellation would be a serious act of war
in and of itself a ballistic response to the launch sites would be
possible and likely. I believe no nation on the planet has the launch
capability to go after the constellations at one time. The launch
facilities would be unlikely to survive a reload. So you might hit a
segment of GPS or Galileo's capability but you'd be hard pressed to
get a lot of them.

Adam