Subject: [Leica] I'd like advice on shooting a fleeting moment of a bike race
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu Feb 22 22:14:26 2007

Hi Adam,

I know that I am a day late and a dollar short here, but I will throw in
my 2 Eurocents anyway. As you know, I am no pro, but when I lived in
Switzerland, I did have the opportunity to photograph a bike race, the
Zurich Metzgete (part of the World Cup circuit) in 2002. It was
particularly easy to find good spots because the route was a 60-70 km
circular route that was repeated 3 times and passed within a few km of
my home. So, using my motorcycle for easy parking, I was able to first
see the racers at the top of a long climb, then at the bottom of a long
descent, and finally at the finish in Zurich. Of those 3 spots, I found
the top of the long climb by far the best, for a couple of reasons:
first, the racers were not going that fast (you do not go that fast at
the end of a 17 km climb in 30+C weather!); and second, they were not
tucked in as would be otherwise be the case, so I had a better view of
their faces and the exertion and emotion. I posted a couple of examples
in my PAW for that week:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2002/2002_34.jpg
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2002/2002_34alt1.jpg
(this was back in the days when I used Leica M and Kodachrome...)

Nathan