Subject: [Leica] M8 in the flesh
From: amr3 at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Thu Feb 22 13:01:45 2007

I was covering an event at the Great Lakes Water Institute today, when I
noticed one of the scientists I know taking some shots with an M8 and 50mm
Summilux.  As things wound down, I asked him if he would let me hold it,
and he not only said yes, but told me to shoot some pictures with it. I
did, and have to admit I like-a this Leica.  From the LUG discussions, I
expected it to be noisier, but it did not seem at all objectionable,
especially after having just been shooting with a Canon 1D. Wish I had one
to use on the job.  I love rangefinders.

I asked this professor about the IR and magenta issues, and he said it
might be useful to him, since his research involves infrared radiation.
BTW, I showed him my IIIf that I had brought along (can't be without a
Leica!), and he took me back to his lab where he had a IIIa with Summar and
28mm Hektor.

I'm expectantly awaiting a CD from him with probably the only shots I'll
get to take with an M8.

Alan

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer