Subject: [Leica] Custom white balanced <WAS>: I Tried an M8; Color Question
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Tue Feb 20 08:23:38 2007

Mark Rabiner wrote:
>> I've gone in phases on it back and forth. I'll get into mode where I do
>> the
>> advanced light balance thing. Which is why I'm glad I bring the book to my
>> D200 with me. It does add to the weight of the package.

Mark, the d200 has up to 5 custom presets, I would set one of these as a
nice tungsten as most cameras have horrible tungsten performance...I
wonder why?  I also, on my cameras, set one custom for cloudy days and
one for sunny days.  One thing with customs such as this is that it
helps different cameras colors match.

>> But more and more as I get comfortable with Bridge and the way it seems to
>> share the same Raw filter with Photoshop the more I've gotten to be a whiz
>> at balancing a  shot on the screen. Selecting all the rest. And then
>> hitting
>> the key which makes that happen the same way to all the rest.
>> Or even doing a command option C command option paste thing where you copy
>> and past the settings from one shot to the other shot/s. That can be real
>> handy as you pick and chose which parameters you are really going to paste
>> in the end. In Lightroom who knows it will be a more cool thing to do. By
>> many Kelvin.
>> But I'd not underestimate the joys of getting a "scientific" reading at
>> the
>> get go on the field. Its one of those good things to do like putting a
>> grey
>> card in a shot and or using a color meter from film days. I think color
>> meters are less valuable now.

Oh don't get me wrong, I know how to shift the balance in Bridge,
Aperture, Bibble, DPP and batch apply...I just like getting it as close
to right when I shoot as possible, but sometimes I forget to change the
WB or I get it wrong (oops am I supposed to admit to making mistakes?
LOL)  The good thing about digital is when you do get it wrong you get a
redo, not like in film and is probably one of the few redos we get in
life. :)

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography