Subject: [Leica] Custom white ballance <WAS>: I Tried an M8; Color Question
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Tue Feb 20 04:44:28 2007

Harrison:

>If you are going to do this crutch why even try to do anything right
>when you make the photo?

>Shoot it right and it leads to a better file when you do convert and also
>makes your time a lot quicker.  I feel the same way about exposure,
>where even in RAW you can be pretty far off and still recover.

Sounds like I offended you.  Sorry.  That was not my intent.

Why use it?  Same reason I check the histogram occasionally, even though I
couldn't do that with film.  Makes my life easier.  Checking the histogram
doesn't degrade image quality.  Neither does setting white balance after the
fact when shooting raw.

Setting the correct exposure is something that you can't change after the
exposure, so I'd assume that would be pretty important to do correctly up
front.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/