Subject: [Leica] Re: The Elusive Digilux 3 (NOT DLlux3)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Feb 19 18:36:04 2007

On 2/19/07 9:15 PM, "grduprey@mchsi.com" <grduprey@mchsi.com> typed:

> Bob,
>
> Not sure what you are worried about.  The Digilux 3 is readily available,
> and
> for a difference of $500 and the warranty differences it is easily worth
> the
> premium.  If you do not want ot pay the extra, get one of the Oly or other
> 4/3
> format cameras and buy the R adapter and then use R lenses on it.  A huge
> deal
> either way.  From what I have seen with my M8 so far, those kicking it are
> full of beans.  Sure there are some initial bugs, but it would appear they
> have been solved or were pretty minor to begin with.  So far my M8 works as
> advertised.  If you are thinking of buying a Leica or Panasonic Digital,
> do so
> and enjoy it and ignore the disenters.
>
> Gene

If what you are doing is filling magazine or newspaper pages with their
halftone screens then 4/3s would fill the ticket to perfection.

But it seems to me if you wanted to have a show of prints later then you
have size limitations which may not appeal to you.

The sports illustrated bathing suit issues used to be pretty good or I was
too young to know any better I think the former. They hit the tubes big time
about 8 years ago they are terrible now. The gal who'd been the art director
for decades they got rid of.

I know some of those guys marketed those shots in all kinds of ways one of
ways were gallery display shots on walls. For the "Art" market. Which was
the "Tim" market was well as the "Harry" market.

Big inkjets from 4/3 format look great just as long as you can experience
them (in a few bars)
Far far away.
A good "viewing distance".

When you walk right up to them they get fuzzy. Like stage scenery.
Don't start checking out the "grain".

But shooting those models with that D3 camera and lens had had to work out
real well.

Didn't see anyone with any reflectors though. Those disk things.
You always use those for those. Used to be foam core. Now they're flappy
disks. Silver on one side. White on the other. With a thin candy shell.

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY

markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Re: The Elusive Digilux 3 (NOT DLlux3))