Subject: [Leica] I Tried an M8; Color Question
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Feb 17 14:42:37 2007

On 2/17/07 4:59 PM, "Robert D. Baron" <rbaron@concentric.net> typed:

> I was in Dallas Texas last week and stopped by Cooters Village Camera,
> the Leica dealer in Highland Park Village Center.  Very knowledgeable
> and nice folks.
>
> They kindly allowed me to try their demo M8 with a couple of my lenses
> (Noctilux and 28mm Summicron ASPH) and sold me an SD card of my own I
> could then bring home and look more closely at the test shots I took.
>
> I have been highly impressed with the shots and comments posted here
> recently by the members of the Non-Whining M8 Photographers Association
> (you know who you are).
>
> I did have the usual quibbles of my own (the shutter tripping and
> re-cocking noise will take getting used to; too much digital image noise
> compared to Canon at higher ISO; is it *really* worth $5,000US?) but
> overall I can see how it would be great to use in many situations
> instead of my current Canon digital behemoths.
>
> One question I have is about the color it produced on my test;  I may be
> having brain fade and not remembering something I should know, but
> please take a look at these 4 test shots from ISO 160 to 2500 (you can
> see the ISO of each when you click through from the thumbnails to the
> full size images) and tell me why there is such a color shift as the ISO
> increases:  http://www.bobbaron.com/M8TestFeb07/index.htm
>
> (The lighting - a mix of fluorescent and daylight from the front windows
> - stayed the same, and the exposure was set on auto; the only change was
> the ISO I believe.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Bob Baron / Oklahoma City

The first three a magenta blue cast. Last; yeller.

You gotta fix that in Photoshop later.

Normally you've got to tweak your color with digital capturing.
But with the M6 so far its more than just a tweak. More of a shove. But I
think you'd get used to dealing with it rather quickly its pretty simple.

And of course there's that convert to black and white option in which every
day in every way I do more and more of in my work. Enjoying it more.

Petty soon I'll be in the "never saw a color I didn't not like" department.

But color can be a little bit interesting sometimes. Taken in limited
quantities with highly selected color schemes when used as directed in a
conscientiously applied program of oral hygiene and regular professional
care.?
Council on Digital color Affairs ~ American Digital Association.

I do the command U desaturate thing but desaturate each color one by one in
shifts and waves. Till they are all gone. Or darned hard to spot.
At least by the time the image is reopened a few times.

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY

markrabiner.com