Subject: [Leica] Arrival of a "new" baby
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Feb 16 15:23:19 2007

At 06:21 PM 2/16/2007, Alastair Firkin wrote:

 >the 1965 post war baby was really a bit of a failure. Of course, that
 >makes it all the more collectable. The shutter is a bit "stiff", but
 >that is probably because it looks like very little film went through
 >it. 127 was dying when it came out: the film was more expensive than
 >the larger 120 format and there were few new cameras. Rollei of
 >course kept making them ;-)

The final 127 Rollei, the "Black Baby", is a
highly prized as few were made and it was not in
production for long.  It did correct the shutter
woes which afflicted a lot of the Baby Greys and
is sought after both as a user and as a collectible.

127 film has certainly not cost more than 120
film in the US at least for the past 40 years, as
I regularly shoot both.  It is an interesting
format.  In the early 1960's, when 120 was the
primary professional format, there were informal
discussions between various companies (my notes
are not at hand at the moment, but I recall that
Franke & Heidecke and Victor Hasselblad and AGFA
and Kodak and Ilford were involved, and several
Japanese companies) about attempting to make 127
the new professional film, with "Baby
Hasselblads" joining Baby Rolleis and the like in
the marketplace.  The idea is intriguing:  the
boom in emulsion qualities meant that a 4cm by
4cm negative in 1965 provided more information
than had a 6cm by 6cm negative in, say, 1950, so
that quality would be retained with about a 40% loss in weight and bulk.

The idea died a-borning as 120 was just too
entrenched among studio and wedding and event
photoraphers and 35mm was becoming the new
universal format for action photographers.  WWII
US combat photographers used Graflex cut-film
cameras or Rolleiflex cameras, with 35mm being
the fall-back allowed for only the very best,
such as Capa.  The Korean War saw this change,
though US Army photographers held to the 70mm
Combat Graphic, that Contax on Steroids.  Capa
died during the French time in South-East Asia
with a Contax at this side and a Nikon RF in
front of him.  And Viet-Nam was almost totally 35mm.

But I'd have loved to have seen a Rollei SL44 or that 127 Hasselblad!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Arrival of a "new" baby)