Subject: [Leica] Slightly OT: To Crop Or Not
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Mon Feb 12 08:35:49 2007

Precisely correct.

On Feb 10, 2007, at 7:23 AM, Philippe Orlent wrote:
> If you care about the most perfect result imagewise, do not
> hesitiate to crop, rework perspective, dodge, burn, tint, clone,
> erase, add, ...

Most of the finest writers and musicians know of the constant rewrite
process. Ansel Adams spoke of the negative as a score which required
interpretation in the print. The process does not stop with the capture.

> If you're into the zen thing of getting it all right from the first
> time on, don't.

For me it's a combination. I always work toward making the frame
(negative, chrome, capture, whatever) perfect in the camera; in this
zenist manner. However, I experience  perfection only rarely. So I
continue to work with what I have.

> And then the question rises: is it a good image when it needs
> explanation?

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com